Sunday, June 9, 2013

Adding insult to injury

In preparation for surgery, I have been instructed to stop taking some of the supplements that I take. Some may cause extra bleeding, like Vitamin E and Omega-3 capsules. And some may interfere with the general anesthesia. One of these is St. John's Wort. St. John's Wort is a mild anti-depressant, of the SSRI type. I take it in the winter to help alleviate Seasonal Affective Disorder, aka Winter Blues.

Granted, it's nearly summer now, and I should be letting it go for the year. But REALLY???? I'm going through a major life change, here...I have CANCER, fercrissakes, and I'm supposed to give up my antidepressant?!?

*sigh*

But I'm game. And it's not going as bad as it could be. I have been stepping down gradually over the past 4 weeks. From 3 capsules to 2, then 1, then half a gelcap (open top of gelcap, sprinkle out half the powder), then a quarter gelcap. Each time I step down I have a couple of days of random weepiness and crankiness, then a couple of days of low, but gradually improving, mood. By the fifth day I am feeling back to normal. Day six is a happy day. Then it starts all over again.

I took my last quarter gelcap two days ago. That's it. No more St. John's Wort. This last time, having already gone through four cycles of sad days, and knowing there was one more coming? That took some inner fortitude. Yesterday was not great. Today I am feeling better. Knowing this will end and I will feel normal by Thursday is very good. I spent a lot of my younger years depressed, and the feelings I am having now are oh so familiar. I do not miss those days.

I have a meditation planned for this afternoon, and that will help. And I will see if I can get out for a walk in the sun in a bit. Also very therapeutic. But if you were at the party I attended last night, and I seemed down? Now you know why. Sorry about that. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment