Sunday, October 6, 2013

Nearing the end

It is now the eve of my last week of radiation. I have had 27 treatments, with 5 to go. I haven't written in a while because, frankly, I haven't had much energy to spend on blogging. I have been very tired for weeks, and now I'm tired most of the time.

This past week I began experiencing shortness of breath during the 10 minute walk from my car to my office, and back. It was very unexpected. I had a chest x-ray and had my blood hemoglobin checked. Both were fine: my lungs are clear and I don't have anemia. The symptoms--which now occasionally also include lightheadedness and dizziness--seem to be worse when I haven't eaten. So perhaps I'm having a low-blood-sugar reaction?

I can try and eat more, especially more protein, and see if that helps. If I can't get the lightheadedness under control, I'm going to have to stop working even a limited schedule this week. I don't want to run the risk of fainting on the way to my car.

Of course, it is the last week of therapy. I gather many (perhaps most) women don't work at all during radiation. The last week is always the hardest. I had always thought I might have to take the last week off work. If that's what I need to do, so be it.

The shortness of breath has forced me to stop taking my daily half-hour walks. I kept that up through the first four weeks of radiation, but I've had to stop for the last two weeks. I also continued my yoga practice most evenings during those first 4 weeks. I can still do a  bit of yoga, but I've slowed that down, as well.

I know the fatigue is temporary; I'm told I will recover in a couple of weeks after the radiation ends. But the leaves are turning now, and I would love to be out in the woods among them, lengthening my stride and enjoying the Indian summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment