Monday, October 14, 2013

Last Day - A Photo Essay


My course of radiation therapy is done! I had my last treatment today -- 32 treatments in all over the past six weeks. To commemorate, here is a photo essay of what the treatments have been like.

Radiation Oncology Building front door
Radiation Oncology
First, I arrive at the Radiation Oncology wing of the breast center and sign in.


small waiting room with lockers and chairs
Waiting Room
Walk around the corner to the small waiting room. Once I change into the gown, I'll put my personal things into one of the lockers and wait to be called for treatment.

author in white robe
Ready For Treatment
I remove all clothing above the waist, then put on one of the provided white gowns. Since I lie on my back to get my treatments, I'm supposed to put the gown on so it is open in the back. If I'm lucky, I get one with long ties so I can wrap the ties around to the front, as in this picture. If I'm not so lucky, I have to awkwardly try and tie the gown in the back. While it was nice to lie on my back for treatments, I kind of envied women who were treated face down, and so got to wear their gowns the right way 'round, open in the front. 

large medical equipment - radiation machine
Radiation Machine
This is a photo of the Radiation Machine. The big round beam emitter swivels around to the correct angle for the treatments. My treatment consisted of radiation "hits" from three different angles. I lie on the white sheet-covered bed, with my arms resting in the arm rests along side my ears. The blue thing is a specially molded bean bag sort of thing to help keep my right arm in the correct location. 

metal disc with glass plate
Beam Emitter
This is the beam emitter. This is what I see above me as I like on the treatment bed. The treatment lasts no more than a minute. I was usually at the breast center about 20 minutes altogether, unless it was my day to see the doctor.

author ringing a bell
Bell Ringing Ceremony
The radiation techs do a little ceremony for patients on their last day. I rang the bell three times and received a little pin in the shape of a bell. Hugs all around, and I started getting teary-eyed. 
The plaque on the bell reads:

Ring this bell
Three times well
To celebrate this day

My course is run
My work is done
And I'm on my way




3 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes - so admiring of you that you have made it through this struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that bell's sound becoming, as it fades away, om shanti...om shanti...om shanti...

    ReplyDelete