Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Getting more active

I started taking walks in our neighborhood about 6 days after the surgery, 40+ minutes, once or twice a day. Getting some exercise did me a world of good; it was wonderful to be moving again. But I was still feeling fatigued in the late afternoon and would lie down for a few hours, maybe napping, usually just listening to a podcast.

A week after that, I remembered that there is a nice metropark just 15-20 minutes drive from where we live now. The weather was perfect: clear blue skies and unseasonably cool temperatures in the upper 60's.

It. Was. Glorious!

I chose a 2.5 mile loop trail. I encountered a number of runners, mostly women, wearing their cute running outfits. There I was, in my button-down cotton blouse from the thrift store, purchased to wear while I'm recovering and not allowed to lift my arms over my head, and my hiking shorts that are a size too big because I've lost weight since I bought them, and I didn't care! I was all, I had breast surgery two weeks ago, and here I am hiking on a real trail in the woods, motherfuckers!

By the time I finished I was grinning ear to ear.

I walked there every day last week, with the exception of one day off for recovery. I pulled out my hiking boots, and started extending the length of my walks: 3 miles,  3.5 miles. I had forgotten just how much I love hiking. I love the solitude, and the exercise. And I love the sounds: wind rustling the leaves, my boots striking the ground, water sloshing in my water bottle.

Maybe it's the exercise, or all the sun I've been getting, or maybe it's just the healing process, but I no longer find myself tired in the afternoons. I'm able to get a few things done around the house. I have shopped for a cooked my breakfasts and lunches.

I was afraid I would be bored on disability, far from it.




One day last week, I made homemade deodorant, following a recipe I found online.








The following day, I hemmed a couple of pants. Not quite as interesting as making deodorant, but useful.

Disability is starting to feel more like a vacation. I'm not ready for it to end!


No comments:

Post a Comment