Friday, October 28, 2011

This getting soft is hard work


We work really hard in my Tai Chi class. I wasn't looking at my watch during this week's class, but I swear we did this one move (Step Up, Deflect, Intercept, and Punch - catchy name) for about 15 minutes. Then we went and did another move (Single Whip) for another 15 minutes.  That’s pretty intense work.

My left shoulder was already tender from where I bruised it in a fall nearly two months ago. I couldn't figure out why it hurt so much this morning until I remembered which particular moves we were doing last night. The "Intercept" move is basically a shoulder rotation, followed by a forward thrust.  Oof!

I’m glad I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow. I will definitely be having her work on my left shoulder, neck, and even the left side of my back which is sore from the trunk rotation of the movement. I’m also thrilled to be able to tell her that I’m sore from a workout, rather than from working too intently at the computer. *grin*

My teacher (Sifu) says that there is an ease in the way we perform the form because of how hard we work in class.  An ease that you don't even see in other practitioners of the particular form that we practice, which itself is based on body mechanics. He has us work to refine and refine the movements like we did last night so that eventually we develop a softness and ease in the form.  

I am clearly not there yet. But then, I have only been taking classes for seven months. The softness will come, in time, I’m sure. I just may have to wait a few years for it to develop. Until then...practice, practice, practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment